Wednesday, April 26, 2017

LEOLA AND ELIZABETH




Dick Brown, Mary McClelland, Leola Brown Nickerson---this is the last photo I have of Mary and Leola

Leola Brown Nickerson passed away on Monday April 24, 2017. 

I have been going back to visit my Big Valley roots for many years and one of my favorite stops was Leola Brown Nickerson's home.  We had a comfortable relationship and often talked about family history.  On a visit a couple of years ago, we were discussing some event from the past and I said something wrong and she corrected me---not bad for someone in her late 90s'. She was a great family history resource. She had a clear-eyed view of family and events; and always gave me an honest assessment of what had happened in the past. 

On April 11, the weather was warm and inviting so I decided to return to my old stomping grounds in Big Valley.  I checked bluebird boxes and visited with family.  In the evening  I stopped in to see June and T. Ray Metz.  During the conversation, Leola's name came up along with Elizabeth Mitchell who lives in Valley View in Belleville. They were both first cousins of Ray and had each reached 100 years of age. Leola's mother was Sarah Headings who married Warren Brown. Elizabeth's mother was Clara Headings who married Rush Russler  and Ray's Mother was Minnie Headings who married Roy B. Metz. They were daughters of Jacob and Ann Headings.

Wednesday April 12 I rose early and headed to The Sale in Belleville where I ate French fries for breakfast (the sausage sandwiches were a bit too much).  After a brief review of  the flea market stuff I don't need, I headed nearby to Valley View.  Several of our relatives and friends are now living in this retirement community.  I visited with a number of people, but i was particularly interested in seeing Elizabeth Mitchell whom I had not met before.

Elizabeth was sitting in a stuffed chair in the hall outside her room.  I asked her about her family and she appeared to understand my questions, but said she did not know anything about my inquiries. And then I asked her about Leola and her eyes lit up. I spoke about both of them being 100 and she seemed to understand. I asked her if she remembered Leola and she said she did. I told her I was going to see Leola and did she want me to wish her a happy birthday.  And she said "Yes, wish her a happy birthday".

After I visited with friends in the assisted living section, I left Valley View and headed to Huntingdon to see Leola.  She was in bed with her eyes closed and I had been warned that she might not respond.  I spoke to her and she opened her eyes. I asked her how she was and she shared "I have pain in my hips and I do not have any appetite". I gathered she was not eating well---not a good sign.

I told her I had just visited with Elizabeth Mitchell and did she remember her?   She said she did remember her.  I told her Elizabeth said to tell you "Happy Birthday".  Leola forcefully said "Tell her Thank You".  I asked her if she remembered Elizabeth as a child? "Yes, we played together".  I told her I would carry a message to Elizabeth if she wished.  "Tell  her we had a lot of good times together",  "I wish I could go to see her".  I lingered for awhile and as I was leaving she said---"We had a nice talk today".

On Thursday as I headed  home, I stopped to see Elizabeth and spoke to her about Leola.  She was attentive and thanked me for sharing the messages with her. I told her I was a acting as  a telephone between she and Leola. She smiled.

Leola, I miss you.













No comments:

Post a Comment