Friday, March 6, 2015

LETTER FROM CYRUS TO DAUGHTER CORA ELIZABETH

Cyrus S. Brown Family History

Introduction

This letter was found with Cora Elizabeth's booklet describing her mother's illness and death between 1905 and 1908.  Unlike that document this letter is dated (October 29, 1913).  Apparently Cora was off visiting friends.  Cyrus's comment at the end of the letter seems to imply that she had traveled by train to perhaps the Lewistown area where she had visited previously.  Cora was 19 years of age at this time.  I received this letter along with the booklet from Joyce Brown Baird at the Brown Family Reunion in the summer of 2014.
                                                                                 Dick Brown


Letter From Cyrus To Cora Elizabeth


Mill Creek Pa 10-29-13
Cora E. Brown

Dear Daughter,

I will write you a short letter this morning to let you know how the sick folks are here.  Mrs. Himes still lives she was weaker yesterday than usual.  Mrs. Metz   had not heard this morning. Hulda is improving and I think the prospects are good now for getting well.  I saw Mrs. Fultz walking out on the road yesterday.  I havn't been up yet.

I was feeling fine yesterday.  I got into a big job carelessly 
when I came home from Mill Creek Monday evening.  I unhitched and turned Dan down to the stable and I staid and shut the doors.  When I went down he rolled in the shed  and the horse and harness were a pretty mess.

Well I got them out the best I could.  And yesterday I made my plans to clean up the horse and the harness and when I had the harness washed I thought it a good time [to] oil them so I have them in good shape.

When I got that job done it was time to do the chores.  I take plenty of time to do things.  Ray (son of Cyrus who later married Edna Metz) milks Bess and one black heifer and sometimes gets some from the white one.

We don't save much cream.  Ray and I are both pretty good at getting away with it.  Ray brought me some corn meal and I have mush and milk for supper.  And good rich milk that hasn't been skimmed.  And hot mush out of the pot makes me a fine supper and for breakfast fried mush and an egg fried in butter  a glass of milk.  And for dinner I have it hot and steaming.

Well I will expect to get a card from you this evening.  I suppose you got down alright as it would be in the daily papers.

My best respects to all the friends.

From your father,

C. S. Brown


(HE DIED 6 WEEKS LATER.)

No comments:

Post a Comment