Monday, March 9, 2015

CORA ELIZABETH'S RECOLLECTIONS OF FAMILY

Subject:  Cyrus Brown Family

Source:  Letter written by Cora Elizabeth Brown (Daughter of Cyrus)
Date: December 30, 1976
Transcript by Dick Brown 1/31/06

Dear Nephew Dick,

I am anxious to cooperate with you, so will get it started.
         
As to my childhood , before mother died it was right happy, my brother Charley and I played together and got along good. But later I was real lonely, as Mother was gone and Charley was able to help out on the farm.  We were expected to work just as soon as we could do anything.  I was 14 when Mother went, so then my responsibility really began---cooking, cleaning, washing, Ironing, etc.
         
One time I was making elderberry jelly, it boiled over and caught fire.  Surely the Lord helped me for I managed to keep it under control.
         
My brothers worked on the farm.  Ray was a teacher, but even after he owned a farm he continued teaching.  I went to school to him and I surely can say a lot of good about him.  He gave us good principles as well as our studies.
         
Fred your grandfather was so kind, so helpful---a fine person.  He went with me or rather took me to Huntingdon to see my future home.  I paid cash for it and have had roomers most of the time---many nice people,.  Just now I have a young couple.   The young man came here in 1972.  In October 1976 (this October) he married and brought his wife . We get along fine and I  surely am glad to have them.

Will was a farmer I believe all his life until he moved to Ocala, FL  I  kept house for him on the farm about 13 years until he married late in life.  He allowed me to drive his car when he was along---that was good.

After I bought my home, Charley lived with me until he moved to Sebring, FL where he bought a home, but lived less than a year.  We were very close.  Many good times we had.  Father and Mother were fairly strict.  Maybe not strict enough with me .  We were brought up in the church---five miles to drive horses and carriage.

The saddest thing that happened to our family was my niece (Tacy)’s tragic death on the highway.  She was a telephone operator and was living with me at the time.   She came to live with Will and I on the farm when she was nine years old when her mother died.  Then when I moved here (Huntingdon)  she spent most of her life with me.

Yes, we had good neighbors in the country.  Mother used to leave me with  a neighbor when she would go away and it did not  suit to take me .

You will notice Dick, I have spoken well of all, that is how I want to do.

I almost forgot Warren.  He was  the tease, he traveled a good bit, then would stop at a college and take a course, but finally married, settled down and farmed, a very successful farmer.

Dick, I was glad to do this,  just hope in a measure it may be satisfactory.  Maybe at another time I can give more interesting information.

You asked about our horses.  Nellie was my driver.  Many a time I took the butter and eggs to Mill Creek and got groceries.


I came up here (Huntingdon) in 1930.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment